Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ode to Dashikis


Hues so bright

Patterns so enticing
Dashiki - we love thee
So fresh and vitalizing

When I was directing, my governing board asked that I revise the dress code policy for the teaching staff. I had to agree it was needed. The young little college co-eds were so energetic and playful with the kids, but as soon as they bent over to tie a shoe - HELLO! No one needs to see what Mother Nature gave you - no matter how darling you may be in the 19-22 age range. On a positive, we sure had a lot of Dads at pick up time! Yowzer!

Anyways, I was really torn about the whole idea of "dress code." It seemed so - institutional. It hurt my hippie heart. We did figure out a way to word the "code" so that teachers could still express their personal taste and style while dressed to care for children. So it all ended up copacetic.

But it leaves me to wander into my alternate universe. (Which I do frequently I might add. I love it there.) My dream land of FLHT, which of course is the Free Land of Hippie Teachers, dashikis would be the best choice for early childhood environments. Think about it, they are roomy and allow for teachers to have full body movements. They are tasteful but a little sexy - not too showy in the boobs, but rather feminine. They are usually brightly colored so stains from the easel hide easily. And did I mention they are just fun and make me feel free?

There would be no dress code in FLHT, nor judgement based on looks or beliefs. Our only code would be to be yourself. And for pete's sake - remember what you look like when bending down to tie shoes!
With much love,
~Miss Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment